The Other Wes Moore - One Name, Two Fates (half memoir)

I really haven't kept up here - but no time like the present, I guess.

I found this on my phone and remembered that I never posted about this book. I can't remember if this one came from a Brooklyn stoop free pile or the Goodwill but it was one of the two.


From wikipedia, a summary:

The Other Wes Moore is the story of two young Baltimore boys that share the same name and a similar history, but travel down very different paths. While both grew up fatherless with troubled pasts, one became a Rhodes scholar and leader, and the other was convicted of murder and is currently serving a life sentence. Wes Moore sets out to answer what made the difference through telling the story of young men trying to find their way in a seemingly broken world. The Other Wes Moore has been on both The New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestseller list.

Hearing both parallel stories is interesting. I didn't find the writing to be engaging. And there wasn't much in the way of reflection or resolution aside from the obvious. I kinda just liked the parallel life stories and especially the photos provided. It's more like a scrapbook but I always love seeing that kind of material.

Providing a ringer of an example as to why I wanted to blog here more -- there was a podcast episode where two women had the same name but different backgrounds and ended up meeting and I found that episode interesting. Can I remember the podcast this was on? No. Can I find it by searching any iteration of two women same name podcast? No. I could have sworn it was Note to Self (though not Manoush Zomorodi's name) but I can't find reference to it anywhere. Sadly, this blog is not buoying my longer-term memory as I'd hoped. *sad trombone*


Comments

Popular Posts